Monday, May 11, 2009

MUSIC MONDAY - EATING MY WORDS

As you know, last week, I was listening to Elvis Costello's Blood and Chocolate. I must admit that at first, I wasn't sure it was for me. I don't know what it was, but I wasn't falling for it right away. But, by the end of the week, I found my toes tapping along and I was even subconsciously singing some of the lyrics to myself over the course of the day. Now, I think it's grown on me - though, I need to a little more exploration on that front.

This week, my assignment is Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion. Of all the music that my husband listens to (and that's a LOT), this may be the one band I ripped on the most. To me, it sounds like Old McDonald's Farm in a rain-forest-themed techno club. Yikes! In my defense, the first couple of albums did sound like the aforementioned cacophony.

So, the other night, we're watching our trusty little Tivo and John put on a Letterman show that he had recorded because Animal Collective was performing. About 30 seconds into the performance, I swallowed my pride (it took a few swallows) and confessed that I liked it. Naturally, it became my new listening assignment. And I love it! It's still pretty experimental - after all, what would you expect from a band comprised of members with names like Panda Bear and The Geologist? - but it's just so upbeat and happy sounding. It makes me want to dance in circles in a wide open field (Clap Your Hands, Say Yeah provokes the feeling in me). It keeps me vibrating at a high frequency :)

It's only Monday and I'm strongly recommending this album, so check it out!

1 comment:

I LOVE to hear from my awesome readers, so let me know what you're thinking! If you don't have a blog, please leave your email, so that I can respond and/or answer any questions. Always, Kyla

Related Posts with Thumbnails